The VTTA Midlands Group Committee Meeting Minutes of Thursday 7th May 2015

 

  1. Members Present 

 

Andrew Simpkins, Alan Colburn, Sue Kelly, Tim Wood, Jeff Matthews (remote connection), Miranda Harris, Scott Westwood, Steve Jenks

 

  1. Apologies  

 

Tim Wood

            

  1. Minutes of last meeting

 

Agreed - no matters arising   

 

  1. Correspondence

 

New event signage (warning signs etc) have been received.

 

  1. Chairman’s Report

 

AS provided a brief update in relation to information that had been forwarded for inclusion in the standard times. This included updates regarding trophy winners and the points series.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report

 

TW not present but AS suggested all is in order with no outstanding matters to report

 

  1. Membership Secretary Report

 

SK to provide figures on current membership numbers but did report that, despite some members not renewing for 2015, the membership is higher than last year. SK has also provided information to the national secretary relating to details of members that have not renewed.

 

  1. Recorder’s Report

 

28 entries have been submitted so far for performance awards. There are no issues with last years calculation for BAR etc.

 

  1. Assistant Recorder’s Report

 

The following narrative was provided by AC:

 

The VTTA “10” on the K11/10T course resulted in the Williams Rose Bowl going to Keith Lea of Paceline RT with a +5.12 and

I have noted the details for the Harry Farrell Club award.  The next counting event for Group trophies is the Shirley RC “50” in June.

I spoke to the organiser, Margaret Smith, at a recent Lunch and she confirmed that this year would be her last as event secretary.

Bearing in mind that this event is the only “50” on a K course I suggest that we start discussion with other interested parties in order to continue this event. 

 

The following were noteworthy points in relation to the above:

 

·        

JM will speak to TW to gauge interest about Echelon taking over the running of the ‘Shirley 50’

·        

AS to do the same within the Solihull CC

·        

SW to ask within WRCC for a volunteer to take over the duties of the trophy secretary.

 

  1. Editor’s Report

 

Currently in between editions but articles are being received for inclusion in the next edition

 

  1. Press Secretary Report

 

Information / articles are being added to the National and Mids-DC web-sites. MH asked whether this should continue in light of the fact that the Mids VTTA now has it’s own web-site.  The following were the noteworthy points:

·        

AS to contact Steve Lockwood about removing the VTTA specific information from the Mids-DC web-site and migrating it to the Mids VTTA web-site. Along with this, a link from the Mids DC web-site to the Mids VTTA web-site will be provided.

·        

Steve Lockwood has been keeping the points series up to date but it is up to AS or MH to provide the associated narrative (AS,MH have administrator access to the Mids VTTA web-site)

·        

MH has set-up a Facebook group for the Midlands VTTA which, at the moment, is under utilised.

·        

JM to send an email shot out to all members informing them of the links to the Mids VTTA web-site and the Facebook group.


Agenda

1.     

VTTA 10 – 4th April 2015 

AS presented the following points:

·        

Event was a success with all helpers turning up on the day to provide the necessary numbers of marshals etc.

·        

Event was oversubscribed which resulted in more of an administrative overhead compared to previous events.

·        

A profit of approximately £340 was realised.

2.     

VTTA / LVRC Joint TT -  18th April 2015

The following narrative was provided by AC:

The above event jointly organised by Mike Amery and I on behalf of the VTTA and LVRC took place on the 18th. April

The change of course did have some effect on the number of competitors but the event went well with 50 riders on the start sheet, fine but chilly conditions, excellent facilities at Welland Village Hall and substantial support from Tim Wood at Echelon Cycles.

The main prize was the Team Award for the BoS on ten riders who had specified which organisation they wished to represent at signing on.  The trophy is an individually crafted  Old Ordinary cycle in brass on a light oak plinth and was won this year by the LVRC – Tim very kindly donated £20 per man.  Other prizes were Fastest 1st, 2nd and 3rd.   BoS  1st, 2nd. 3rd, 4th and 5th.  Women on Std 1st and 2nd.  BoS for Road Bike 1st, 2nd and 3rd

The total prize list was £450 including the trade support and we made a profit of £28 which we are carrying over to next year’s event.

We did a satisfaction survey which produced a limited but supportive response and also some suggestions for next year.

Mike and I are extremely grateful for all the support and help we have received for this inaugural event and confirm that we will promote next year at about the same date but on the original Welland-Longdon 16 mile course.  Our intention is to provide a little novelty plus good organisation which will encourage riders to enter and to this end we are considering a two-up TT for 2016.

The following were noteworthy points in relation to the above:

 

·        

AS to invite Mike Amery as a guest to the annual dinner / prize presentation.

 

3.     

Web-site / Facebook

In addition to the discussion that had already taken place in relation to changes required to the web-site etc (discussed under ‘Press Secretary Report) the following was discussed as part of the agenda:

·        

AS to review new Mids VTTA web-site with Steve Lockwood . Discussion to include, how to improve Google ranking (searching for Mids VTTA currently provides a ‘top hit’ for the national page) and how to make it easier to add photos.

·        

All committee members were asked to review the web-site and provide feedback to AS.

·        

AS to speak to TW in relation to the payment associated with the set-up / administration of the new web-site.

4.     

VTTA Group Teams at National Events

AS is to draft a letter to the editor of the ‘Veteran’, on behalf of the group, expressing our desire to have a group award included at National VTTA events in addition to the existing team / club awards. A proposal will also be submitted to the NEC for consideration at the next VTTA AGM.

5.     

Age Records

SJ commenced discussions around the fact that there are no age group records within the Mids VTTA and a recent enquiry from a member asking about these had prompted discussion. The noteworthy points from the discussion were as follows:

·        

SJ to write an article for inclusion in the July edition of the Standard Times. The article will outline ideas on how the age group records will be formulated with the proposed adoption being from 2016 onwards.

·        

In the first instance the awards will be for K courses only (currently could only be for 10, 25 and 50 mile TTs) and would be for Men/Women on bicycles only.

AoB

  1. Combined AGM / Annual Dinner

In order to encourage more members to the AGM, SW suggested that it should be combined with the annual dinner. A slot of approximately 1hr, prior to the dinner, should be sufficient time to work through the agenda especially if reports were combined into an overall ‘committee report’. The idea is to be put forward in the next edition of the Standard Times. SW will also post on the Mids VTTA Facebook page in order to gauge feeling amongst members.

  1. Memorial Book

AC presented a sample of handwriting that would be used to write updates into the memorial book. All present commented on the suitability of the handwriting for such a record.

 

 

 

Tags: